What is teeth cleaning?
During your teeth cleaning, you receive diagnostic and preventive services, as well as educational information from your dentist at KRB Dentistry, including:
- Oral cancer screening
- Gum tissue evaluation
- Brushing and flossing instructions
- Future treatment recommendation
- Evaluation of self-care effectiveness
What is the teeth cleaning process?
Your teeth cleaning at KRB Dentistry includes:
- Plaque and tartar removal: Your dental hygienist uses a dental scaler to scrape the plaque and tartar from in and around your gumline and between your teeth.
- Toothpaste cleaning: After removing all of the tartar from your teeth, the dentist or the dental assistant at KRB Dentistry uses a high-powered electric brush and a gritty toothpaste to polish teeth. They can also use a pumice to remove extrinsic stains from the surface of your teeth.
- Expert flossing: Your dental hygienist then flosses your teeth and gets deep between your teeth, locating any trouble spots. This step also removes any leftover plaque or toothpaste. Flossing is a great tool for fighting against gum disease.
- Rinsing: Your hygienist then has you rinse out your mouth to get rid of any debris.
- Fluoride treatment: The last step in the teeth cleaning process is a fluoride treatment to protect your teeth and help fight cavities. KRB dental assistants put a foamy gel into a mouthpiece that fits over your teeth, and you wear it for about one minute.Another option is to have fluoride varnish painted onto your teeth with a small brush. A varnish is a longer-lasting fluoride treatment that sticks to your teeth and doesn’t come off till you brush. You shouldn't eat or drink for 30 minutes after the fluoride application or eat anything hot after the varnish.
What is a deep teeth cleaning?
A deep teeth cleaning is different than your biannual appointment. A deep teeth cleaning is a specific procedure that your dentist performs to treat gum and periodontal disease due to bone loss from bacteria accumulation around the gums and bone. This most often results from the lack of regular professional cleaning appointments recommended every six months.
This process has two parts, including:
- Scaling: The dentists at KRB Dentistry use an ultrasonic, state-of-the-art, high-frequency scaler that removes plaque and tartar from the surfaces of your teeth, as well as from the pocket area between your teeth and gums where you have bone loss. Depending on your sensitivity level and the amount of bone loss, your dentist anesthetizes the treatment areas for a more comfortable experience throughout the procedure.
- Root planing: Your dentist also uses a manual scaling instrument to remove plaque and tartar from the roots of your teeth.
To schedule a teeth cleaning, call or make an appointment online today at KRB Dentistry.